A literary storm is brewing
The Minds Shine Bright writing competition Storm is open for entries.
Whether it’s fast and furious, loud and bright, something that’s brewing or a spirit summoned tempest, bring us your best writing to warm our hearts through this cold Melbourne winter.
What is Minds Shine Bright?
Minds Shine Bright is an arts business that supports writers. We currently run two fiction writing competitions per year. Minds Shine Bright Confidence, a longitudinal look at confidence in fiction and our current competition with a changing theme – storm.
Behind the scenes we are working on the Minds Shine Bright anthology Confidence featuring writers from our first competition. We will be announcing the winners at a celebratory event in August and launching Confidence.
Winning and commended entries receive cash prizes and are published. Additionally, certificates and gifts of recognition are awarded to a small number of talented writers.
Our new competition theme is Storm. The closing date is 30 September 2022
Storm has the following features:
- We accept short stories, poems, short scripts and flash fiction
- We seek short, succinct fiction. The word limit is 2500 words across all categories except flash fiction where the limit is 1000 words
- There are no category specific prizes.
- There is a focus on a smaller set of writers
- The prize structure follows a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 format:
- The winner receives $500
- Second place – $400
- Third place – $300
- Fourth place – $200
- Five commended entries receive $100 each.
- Winners and commended entries will be published by Minds Shine Bright in an e-book.
- A further 10 writers be awarded certificates and gifts of recognition.
- Winners are selected based on literary merit.
- The entry fee is $5 per entry
- Each entry submitted must be the original, unpublished work of the submitting writer.
- The judge of Storm is Amanda Scotney, founder of Minds Shine Bright and all entries are judged blind.
- Writers must include the theme of storm in some way in each entry.
Please read the full list of terms and conditions here.
Minds Shine Bright Confidence writing competition runs from October to February each year. Its aim is captures and share how fiction writers explore the theme of confidence over time. Four categories including short stories, poetry, flash fiction and scripts are included.
The tumultuous events of 2020 and 2021 inspired the first Minds Shine Bright writing competition. As circumstances change and as writers explore different elements of confidence we look forward to seeing how this creative collection evolves over time.
Visit our blog for writing posts and competition updates
Minds Shine Bright Confidence Anthology
The Minds Shine Bright Confidence Anthology will feature the winners and commended writers of the first Minds Shine Bright Creative Writing Competition.
It will be launched in August 2022.
Short and longer poems
up to 2500 words
Flash fiction – up to 1000 words
Short stories – 1001 to 2500 words
up to 2500 words
Minds Shine Bright
Founded in 2021 by Amanda Scotney, Minds Shine Bright, is a creative arts business based in Melbourne, Australia
Do you have questions about our writing competitions or the Minds Shine Bright anthologies?
- Awards Event and Confidence Anthology Launch – August 2022
- Storm writing competition closes – 30 September 2022
- Storm Judging – October to December 2022
- Confidence writing competition opens October 2022 and closes February 2023
- Storm Anthology Launch – early 2023